Friday, May 14, 2010

Filing your dog's nails instead of clipping them?

Has anyone tried using an electric drill or electric file on their dog's nails instead of clipping? My mini is literally karate chopping at the lady when she tries to clip his nails :)





What brand do you use and what type of drill bit?Filing your dog's nails instead of clipping them?
These people who have answered that its cruel have no idea obviously what you are asking about. The type of drill your are looking for is called a DREMMEL and it's sold at home depot, walmart etc. As for the specific head to use there are tons of websites that list the actual sanding disk type with picture. Just keep the grain of sandpaper very fine and go slow until you and your pooch have adjusted to the new system.Just google dog grooming with dremmel. For those of you who don't get her question it is the same type of small drill that esthetician's use for manicures! I have seen many good results from this and it keeps the dog calm and happy. Best of luck.Filing your dog's nails instead of clipping them?
My sister gets her dogs done with a drimmel tool.Files them down nicely.
Dremmel, any of the sandpaper drums will work fine. You do have to be careful as the nails can get hot, so don't use it on a nail for very long. I do one side of all the nails and then go back and do the other. If you grind off the shiny outer layer of the bottom half of the nail the quick will draw back faster.





Many dogs prefer the dremmel to the clippers.
You should be carefull with your dog麓s nails because some of them might have blood veins. My aunt has a mutt, and the vet can麓t clip her nails because there are too many veins in them!
my friend uses a ';grinder'; especially made for dogs, basically an electric file to grind down the nails as her dogs hated having their nails trimmed too. Maybe check out some pet supply websites.
The only problem I had with the Dremmel was the smell of the ground nail dust... most unpleasant. I wore a surgical mask.
Boy, I've had to clip nails at a doggy care place and some dogs WILL NOT have it. Probably because someone previously clipped the quick. I know they make electric files but I seem to remember that you have to be careful with those too-- I think you can burn their pads if you aren't careful. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)


I've found that I can usually clip my own dog's nails when she's drowsy (or even asleep) You just nip the tips so that the vein will retract and eventually you'll be able to keep them shorter.


Another technique is my own invention but I've found that it works every time. I prop the dog's back against my legs, and pop both of his paws up onto a stool or ottoman-- whatever you have. Then I lift one paw and do those nails---he can't lift the other paw because it's his supporting paw. Then I reverse the process. This has worked every time for me, but my dogs are larger than yours. Don't know if this makes a difference. Good luck!
You'd use a drill on a dog? That's appalling. What if the drill slips? You won't have to worry about the dog's claws ever again.....
Ciipping is much faster and some dogs don't like the sound of the electric file, I have four dogs and I clip all of their nails, two great danes and two dachshunds. You just have to be careful when you trim them, if the nails are clear you can see the vein in the nail, if they are black don't clip any shorter than the curve of the nail, if you clip it too short there is a product called quick stop that will stop any bleeding, and it is possible to even grind them too short. If you start this process when they are puppies they get use to it and won't struggle, I started trimming puppy litters toenails when they were four weeks old and continued trimming them right up until the day I sold the puppies.
I also use a dremmel tool to file my dogs nails. Just make sure you stop if you see a drop of blood well up (this is right before you hit the nerve, so it doesn't hurt them, but if you keep going it will). Take it slow, and get your dog used to the noise the dremmel makes.
  • makeup trends
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment