Friday, May 14, 2010

In regards to taking care of Cockatiels, can I file their beaks slightly, I've learnt to clip wings&nails, but?

have noticed recently that 2 of my Tiels (have 4) that 2 of them have really pointy sharp beak ends, is that something that is done in grooming Tiels/Birds, filing the beaks a bit? And if so, how is it done? Can I just use a buffing type file, I wouldn't think a course one would be very comfortable for them, the 2 that have the sharpest that I am concerned about are the babies, their both over 6 months now, Clover was born last year in December and Chloe was born this last May and they seem to be getting longer (the beaks). By the way, I do keep stones and sandpaper type stuff in their cages to chew on, and they chew quite regularly, but the beaks are still really sharp, A Tiel that was born with Clover in December that I gave to a friend, his beak is starting to curl slightly under, what's the story on that? Is that normal?In regards to taking care of Cockatiels, can I file their beaks slightly, I've learnt to clip wings%26amp;nails, but?
Some people do have the beaks of their parrots gently filed to dull the point a little. This must be done very carefully though since the beak is living tissue with blood vessels and (probably) nerves. Its a bit tricky, and one has to be gentle with a very light touch. I've never done it, and can't picture any of my birds voluntarily sitting still for it. I would suggest going to an avian vet for this.In regards to taking care of Cockatiels, can I file their beaks slightly, I've learnt to clip wings%26amp;nails, but?
They won't chew on stones, and any type of paper isn't going to get the beak trim :)





Since they are so bad it is best to get them trimmed by a professional at the vet or at your local bird shop. Ask to watch how they trim the beak so you know how it looks


But if you give them the items they need the beak should not get so overgrown ;)





In the future a cuttlebone and calcium block are good ways to keep the beak trim, also all cockatiels should have one for calcium.


Also soft wood toys, rawhides, and cardboard work as beak trimmers. These also should be given so the cockatiel has something to play with, many people make the mistake of only giving hard acrylic toys that the cockatiel does not really want to chew on :)





Also, what is their diet? A bad diet of only seed can cause beaks to look cracked, overgrown and generally not good looking.





Goodluck! http://www.cockatielcottage.net/ is a great site and I recommend checking it out!





O! I forgot to say they will chew on lava stones if so inclined and these do make excellent trimmers.


But not all cockatiels will chew on them. In this case his other toys I mentioned should pick up the slack :)
  • makeup trends
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment