Thursday, January 21, 2010

Do you trim or file your cat's nails?

I adopted an adorable 11-month-old cat last week. I'm going to give her a few weeks to adjust, but eventually I'll have to do something about her long nails. Any ideas?Do you trim or file your cat's nails?
the vet or a groomer can do the first few so she's mad at them and not you.





in the mean time, handle her paws regularly.





i use nail sissors on my two cats. they don't like it but they don't wig out either. i started with just a nail or two a day when i began clipping them myself, being careful not to quick them. just take the tips. better to clip every week than to quick them once because that really hurts and they WILL rememberDo you trim or file your cat's nails?
The trick is to wait until your cat is completely tired or even better, asleep and then trim the nails using the scissor type clippers. My cat was already a year and a half old when he found me. I could tell that he never had anyone trim his nails before. It took a few tries, but now I wait until he's very mellow or asleep and I can trim all four paws in under thirty seconds and he doesn't even notice. It definitely saves the furniture. Just don't get him declawed as that is cruel and totally unnecessary. Just try what I have stated and it will make your life a whole lot easier.
I do. I had to start young, my cat just lays there while I cat his nails the other 2 want no part of it. Normally I give them treats after the ordeal is over with. Also its very scary especially if they squirm or become to radical because you can miss and hit the pink which will cause an infection. My cats also have scratching posts which help shed some of the nail. If you cat never adjusts to it you may have to get it done professionally.
I clip my cat's nails once every three weeks or so, primarily because I can't clip them down too far - she has pigmented nails so it's difficult to see the quick. I considered filing them, but given that she barely tolerates me taking three minutes to give her front toes a pedicure, she certainly isn't going to stand for sitting around while I file them.





I did consider that Pedipaws thing that you see advertised. I think it's one of those devices that sounds better in theory than it actually works. First of all, it's noisy and would send my cat running for cover. I also question how much control you'd really have taking off enough nail without hitting the quick.
We trim ours. I don't know a cat anywhere that will tolerate filing. I do agree with the other poster though. It's important that a vet or vet tech show you the proper method for trimming. If you don't know what you're doing you can hurt them quite badly. It's easy to learn, keeps them from hurting each other, and prevents ingrown claws.





We trim about every other weeks on the young cats, and about once a month on the older cats (their claws don't grow as fast).
My indoor cat yes, outdoor cats no. It can be done with a simple nail clipper and I would recommend starting while the kitten is pretty young so they get used to it. I do mine about every 2 weeks and I wrap her in a blanket (with one paw and head free) so that she can't escape. I've never needed to have a vet's help but it is hardest the first time until both of you figure out what you are doing. Good luck.
I got a nail clipper from the pet store for my cat, but he absolutely hates having his paws touched. I do it late at night when he has been sleeping for a couple of hours and is still groggy.





If you leave them be, they will chew them off, but they will still get long and hurt you if she claws.





Another option is to get the Soft Paws, which are little rubber type tips to put over your cats nails so they can't scratch with them. I haven't used them (since it seems like a pain to put them on), but have heard they work well.
I cut both of my cats' nails. You just have to be patient with them (and a little bit firm). Only do a couple nails at a time the first time or two. Now, mine let me do it without any fuss at all. The sooner you start, the better, though, because older cats are much more difficult to train!





Also, make sure not to cut the ';quick';, which is the darker pink part. That will bleed a ton, and your kitty will not like it. You may never get the chance to trim his nails again!
Yes, I clip my cats' claws about once a month... more frequently if they look like they need it. I recommend taking her to your vet to have them clipped the first time. Ask if they can instruct you how to clip them while they're doing it. Hands-on learning for something like this can be very helpful.
I got pedi paws for my dogs, but it said on there I could use it on the cat. I did, and it was wonderful! I was about to declaw him, but I know that is a horrible think to do. That machine saved him from that!
My grandma used to trim her dogs nails so I think cats will be just fine :)





RIP tigger :( i guess cats don't have 9 lives.


July of 2008, January 12, 2009
Give her a couple of scracthing posts and encourage her to use them.





I also use nail clippers to occasionally trim my indoor cats claws.
i clip my cats nails..


when i first got the boy cat it was very hard to clip his nails because he wouldnt stop moving.. so I wrapped him in a towel!
.6neither my cat bites her nails!
ya my cat tore up my sofa by siting and digging its long nails into it

No comments:

Post a Comment