Thursday, January 21, 2010

Dog nail filing tools?

has anyone tried the Peticure filing thing i see on tv? i'm wondering if it's loud and would scare my dogs. is it worth the investment?Dog nail filing tools?
I bought it, and it is a little loud, but its not so much that would send them into terror.





Max is horrified of our silent vaccum cleaner, and this thing is LOUDER than the cleaner and he's fine with it. The best noise I can think to associate it to help you get what it sounds like is the static on a tv.





Its worth it. But it won't help if your dogs don't like their feet touched. My sister in laws husky is a terrible dog for nail clipping, and we thought the peticure might work, and it made no difference. Dog nail filing tools?
The grinder that is shown on TV will work just like a Dremmel tool -


The advantage of a grinder is that the nail is smooth and will not hurt the people or scratch or catch on household items. However, a grinder will not eliminate the possibility of cutting the quick - if you get too close with a grinder, it will have the same affect as if you cut the quick with a regular clippers.


The disadvantage of a grinder is that some dogs are really upset by the noise and/or the vibrations of the grinder. A clipper is quicker, but it does leave the nail sharp.






Love this question!


The first time I saw the Peticure on the T.V. I thought ';Dremel';. I own one of the small rotary tools which has sandpaper bits. I introduced the Dremel on low speed as a sound only while I petted my dogs. After a few minutes they were calm so I tried it. It works great and they really hated the clippers but don't mind the Dremel at all!





I have a battery powered nail care gadget some one gave me but I never use it. It was too under-powered for my large dog's nails, but would work on a small dog. While a Dremel costs $50 or more the nail gadget was only $15 or $20. If the Peticure is in this range it may be a good purchase.
All you really need to do is walk your dog. The recommended walking time for a dog is 30 minutes a day. If you walk them on pavement the entire time, their nails will file themselves down naturally, without hurting your dog like clippers might.


This is the best way to keep their nails short because it doesn't cost anything, and you and your dog need the exercise.
No, it is quiet, and it is very realiable. It works great, I would tell you that it is great and it is a good investment. My dogs nails have never been smoother and they dont cratch me or the floor anymore.


Good Luck.
yes yes yes, it works great. I got one about 1 month ago. Before this my cats and my dog hated getting their nails clipped. Not they could care less. I would recommend it to anyone.
Please visit a dog parlor or a VET he would always have the tools available....also its just a longer and harder version of the filer that women use that is use for dogs....dogs also have a different type of nail cutter
I would say dont bother. Cut your dogs nails then take it for a walk to wear down the edges. Its cheaper and fun for both of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment