Saturday, January 2, 2010

Playing golf I scuff the ball with my wedge. Can I use a finger nail file to smooth the scuffs on the ball?

Is it against any rules to use a file to smooth the ball during a a match?Playing golf I scuff the ball with my wedge. Can I use a finger nail file to smooth the scuffs on the ball?
http://www.usga.org/playing/rules/books/鈥?/a>


see rule #5





The nail file is against the rules. You must finish the hole and change to a new ball on the next teePlaying golf I scuff the ball with my wedge. Can I use a finger nail file to smooth the scuffs on the ball?
You would be altering the surface of the ball which would be illegal and cost you the hole. Scuff marks alone do not warrant replacement of the ball on the hole being played. When you finish the hole you are allowed to retire the ball and substitute another. In match play you may indicate to your opponent that you feel the ball is marked sufficiently so that it may be replaced.. You can mark the spot and lift the ball in his presence. If he agrees you may replace the ball with another. If he disagrees, play the scuffed one.
In a friendly, casual match it would be allowed. In an organized, regulated competition the ball would have to be deemed unfit for play and at the end of the round you could remove the scuff marks..
I don't believe so but I would suggest using a slightly harder ball to reduce the amount that happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment