Friday, January 15, 2010

Dremel nail file for dogs?

oh god iv just bought a dremel pet nail file and am well scared lol...does any one have any experiences with it when theyve filed there pets nails..did u find it easier when the animal was laying down/relaxed etc (like at bed time) ?? am bit scared to use it for the first time as my lot hate having there feet touched (thought the dremel would be less stressful than clippers...any advice thanx xxDremel nail file for dogs?
I have used a dremel for many years on my dogs' nails. I will never use a nail cutter again. I use the coarse sand drums to grind them down, but I know some people use the grinding stones.





Before you start with the dremel, you need to get your dogs used to you touching their feet. This is why it is so important to start this practice when they are puuppies. Have the dog lay on its side and have a lot of little treats handy. I tell my dogs ';easy'; - which means laying down completely flat on their side (with their head down too). When they are little and learning, they get a lot of treats for laying down. Start handling their feet while the other hand gives them a massage on their shoulders, etc. Give them treats when they are being still. Later, let them sniff the dremel tool and turn it on (keeping it away from their feet at this point). Then, put the body of the tool against their body so they can feel the vibration.





When you start working on their nails, you may only be able to do one nail or foot a day, until they get used to it. The main thing is to hold their toe with your hand, this lessens the vibration they feel from the tool. Do not press and hold the tool against the nail, as it can make the nail hot from grinding it down. Go in short bursts until the nail is down to where you want it. While you still can ';quick'; the nail, it is much easier to use the dremel than the cutters. Do not try to go to short in the begininning until you get used to it.





After a while, your dogs will let you do all of the nails at the same sitting. My dogs actually seem to enjoy it and they get a tasty treat when they are all finished.





Good luck. And remember, the more stressed you are about doing it, the more stressed the dogs will be.Dremel nail file for dogs?
Below is a good site with lots of information. I dremel my dog's nails, but I start them when they are very young.
If you have a rescue greyhound and I understand yours may be quite old, having lost all its teeth, I think it is way too late to start using a dremel on its claws. It takes a dog time to trust you to touch its feet, let alone using nail clippers and certainly not using a dremel out of nowhere. I would stick to the nail clippers as I think your dog will freak out with the dremel. If you have any problems clipping your dogs nails you should get a vet or al least a vet nurse to do this and on no account do it yourself.
I have one and have a dog business. The dogs HATE the sound of the dremel. Any dog with anxiety will freak. I recommend the old fashioned really nice, sharp, professional dog clippers, or if you can't get those, the guillotine style. Unless you have a very patient dog, they're going to be a nightmare to dremel. It takes forever to Dremel them.

No comments:

Post a Comment