Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Should i put sand paper around my macaws perch to file her nails?

my macaws nails are getting long. is it safe to put sand paper around her perch to file her nailsShould i put sand paper around my macaws perch to file her nails?
Sandpaper perch covers are not recommended. They are too rough and can cause wear on pads and open sores on the bottom of your bird's feet.





Stores likes Petsmart and Petco sell perches that are designed to help keep your birds nails trimmed. You will still have to occasionally have them trimmed or you can do it yourself. Follow this website for a ';how-to'; guide for trimming the toenails yourself:





http://thetrueparrot.homestead.com/howto鈥?/a>


http://www.krcexoticbirds.com/main/faq.h鈥?/a>Should i put sand paper around my macaws perch to file her nails?
I agree that sandpaper perch covers should never be used. I use the concrete ';pedicure'; perches for both my Illiger's Macaw and for my 'tiels but in my experience it has had almost no effect on those sharp sharp claws. My advice is to have your vet show you how to clip your Macaw's nails and then do it yourself from there on.





You'll want to have a birdie first aid kit on hand when you do the clipping. Mine includes q-tips and styptic powder to stop bleeding should you inadvertantly clip the nail too short. This is important as nails clipped too short (and its really easy to do this) will bleed a lot.





While you're having the vet show you how to do nail trims you can also ask him to show you how to clip the flight feathers if you keep your bird's wings clipped.

No comments:

Post a Comment