Thursday, January 14, 2010

Is it safe to file a puppy's nails with a nail file?

My 15 week old Chihuahua's nails are really sharp and long and I don't feel that me clipping her nails would be safe for her since I have no knowledge of nail clipping. I'm going to wait until I take her to the vet to get them clipped but for the mean time would it be okay for me to GENTLY file her nails a bit?Is it safe to file a puppy's nails with a nail file?
Of course. I filemy puppy's nails everytime I trim them or they get too sharp. Just be gentle.Is it safe to file a puppy's nails with a nail file?
Hi! It should be fine! There is a special type of nail clipper for dogs that you should buy. It is safe, but you must hold your dog down if he/she is scared. We just touched our dogs nails until she got used to it. That way trimming her nails was easy. Using a file should be the least harmful thing to do until you see a vet. Good Luck!
Yes it is find to file your dog's nails a little. Just make sure you don't file them to the quick.
it is perficly fine. you just need to watch out that they dont get to short. keep them on the long side.
I use a dremel tool on my dog. I just bought a $10 cordless one from walmart and it works great. I clip his nails first, but then I use the dremel since they are sharp after I clip them.
Clipping her nails is really easy and the best way to deal with them. You should see a white section and then a pink closer to the fur. The pink is called the ';quick';. Clip the white ends of the nails as close to the pink as possibly without actually cutting the pink part. Black nails are hard because you can see the quick. I judge by the others nails. If you cut the quick, it will bleed. But this is no big deal. You can buy ';quickstop';, but the best thing to do is either use cornstarch on the nail or walk the dog in the grass for a few minutes. the bleeding will be minute and will stop soon.





Filing them will take forever.
I don't think there would be a problem, but they have manicure sets a places like petsmart just for doggies. I would go there and compare.
If your little girl's nails are the same color as my little guy's (dark brown) you might want to take her to a groomer the first time. Watch what they do and you will know how far back to trim the nails. Groomers can give you some quick and easy tips as to what they do to clip nails You can use a standard nail file to keep them nice, or if you even have one of the electric nail files that have the file wheel, that will work too. You just don't want to cut or file them too close as you might cut into the quick and the toes will bleed.





My Taco is not one that really likes his nails cut. At first we had to put a muzzle on him, but now we can cut his nails with no problem.
you could run her out side and the ground will make them not so sharp because we run our lab and we don't every have to clip his nails. you problay shouldn't but like for our pom we clip them since we can see the quick and we have knowledge of it either we only know not to go past the quick.

No comments:

Post a Comment